Wednesday 26 May 2010

'I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul'...


For those of you that have watched Invictus, you will recognise the title of this post as the last two lines of the poem recited by Nelson Mandela (Morgan Freeman) to Bokke captain, François Pienaar (Matt Damon) during the 1995 Rugby World Cup.

I have been dying to see this critically acclaimed movie since its release in December 2009 and I finally had time to watch it the other day and boy was it worth the wait! I'm not going to ruin the plot for those who haven't yet watched it, but I will talk a bit about the background of the movie as I think it's relevant.

The film is based on the period directly following the Apartheid and the release of Mandela from Robben Island. It's based on a true story of how Mandela used sports, in particular rugby to unite the Afrikaaners with the black majority during his time as President of South Africa. I have often spoken in earlier posts about how politics and sport are inseparably linked; Mandela recognised this and sought to engage with what was a largely white or Afrikaaner based sport. The green and gold colour of the Springboks was for many blacks, representative of the Apartheid era and of white oppression. However, Mandela was determined to change this image into one of the "Rainbow Nation" by donning the famous jersey, with Pienaar's number on the back. To a large extent, he succeeded in his attempts at changing the face of a nation torn apart by violence and aggression, and the Springboks eventually went on to win the 1995 Rugby World Cup which they hosted.

I have to say that Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon were superb in their respective roles in the film. You could have been forgiven for thinking that Mandela was playing himself; Freeman captured Mandela's gentle but firm demeanour magnificently and was thoroughly enjoyable to watch. Matt Damon managed to perfect his South African accent to a tee and was also convincing in his role as captain of the 1995 team. I would recommend this film without a moment's hesitation; it doesn't matter whether you follow rugby or not, there's a deeper meaning to the film which extends to everyone.

It is unmistakeably clear to see how Invictus is linked to the upcoming World Cup, despite it concerning a different sport. The message is clear - South Africa wants to show the world that it can pull together and deliver a tournament that will be as good or even better as those before it have been. I mentioned in one of my earlier posts about how racism is still in existence in South African society. This situation hasn't changed, but for many South Africans today, Mandela's message about unity and hope also hasn't changed.

Perhaps for all the players currently preparing for SA 2010, they can take inspiration from the following words, as Pienaar and his team did during SA 1995:

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment